Luke Thomas, Director
Having just passed his 10 year anniversary at Plus Accounting, Luke revisits the 10 questions he was asked when he first joined.
- How long have you worked for Plus Accounting?
10 years, where has that time gone!
- If you could change one thing in the tax system, what would it be and why?
Difficult question to answer, as there is lots that could be changed to improve the tax system. I believe it should be made as fair as possible for all. For example, the claw back of child benefit is not structured fairly for each household, when you can have one family with one parent £100K having to repay child benefit, but another family with each parent earning £50K able to keep the child benefit.
- If you could give your 18 year old self one piece of advice what would it be?
The sacrifices are worth it in the long.
- What was your very first job?
A summer job at Parker Pen packing pens into boxes when I was 16 years old. It was extremely boring and I only managed 3 weeks.
- What hobbies do you have outside of work?
I follow football and occasionally play golf, but most of my spare time is occupied by my two children.
- Is it still a good time to be starting a new business in the current climate?
This is a great time to get started. However, to be successful in the long run, a new business needs a good idea and a good business plan.
- If you suddenly became financially independent, what would you miss most about your job?
Mostly I would miss my colleagues, many of whom I have built up a great friendship with during my time here.
- What is the difference between a top ten 10 employer and a smaller firm?
I believe a smaller firm can offer a much wider range of experience for its staff and more tailored training, which is very important for staff looking to develop their careers. From a client perspective, I believe clients will have a much closer relationship with their accountants and find them much more accessible in a smaller firm.
- If you could meet a celebrity, dead or alive, who would it be?
- Describe yourself in three words?
Ambitious, organised, worrier!