You are entitled to child benefit if you have a child living with you who is:

  • Under 16
  • Under 20 if they stay in approved education or training

Even if as a family you decide not to claim Child benefits because your income or that of your partner’s is in excess of £50,000, you should still fill in and send off the claim form.

Claiming where income is now under £50,000

If historically you have not claimed the child benefit or you opted out of it because either your own or your partner’s income was in excess of £50,000 and you were subject to the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge, now due to Covid-19, you may find yourself in the position where that income is below £50,000 for the 2020-21 tax year.

If this is the case then you are able to contact the Child Benefit Office to reinstate your entitlement to Child Benefit.

You can call HM Revenue & Customs on 0300 200 3100 to re-instate your claim for Child Benefit. You will need your National Insurance Number or Child Benefit number.

If you are going to be claiming Child Benefit for the first time then you will need to complete the Child Benefit Claim Form CH2. More details can be found later on in this blog.

Child benefit can be backdated by up to 3 months.

Making a claim for new-borns

Ordinarily to make a claim for child benefit for a new born baby, the birth has to be registered and the birth certificate sent to the Child Benefit Office so that HM Revenue & Customs can process the form.

Due to the unprecedented times we are currently living in, HM Revenue & Customs have announced that parents of new-borns are still able to claim Child Benefit.

The General Registers Offices open, albeit, operating at a reduced capacity and with the Government’s guidance on staying at home and social distancing, parents of new-born’s are advised not to go to the General Registers Offices to register the birth. It is possible for a claim for Child Benefit to be made without having to register the birth of the child. This is so parents of a new born child do not miss out on the child benefit payment.

Who can claim

Only one personal can claim Child Benefit for a child. For couples with one partner not working or paying National Insurance Contributions, the claim should be made in their name as this will help protect their entitlement to the State Pension.

Anthony Barron Plus Accounting portrait

Author: Anthony Barron, Tax Manager

Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal, belong solely to the blog owner and do not represent those of Plus Accounting. All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.